Thursday, February 14, 2013

Day 24, Do something. Even when you really don't want to.

Bad news.  The girl needs surgery.  Those bright shiny eyes of hers?  They don't work together, and the muscles need correction.  No other options.  Patches won't work.  Lowering her glasses strength doesn't work.  So.  Surgery.

That was my news first thing yesterday.  It tainted everything.  I know this is routine stuff.  I know it will be fine.  But I don't want my daughter's eyes cut into.  I don't want her to be vision impaired (more than she already is) for a few days.  But, this is what needs to happen so she can see.  She's excited about maybe not seeing double anymore...  but I'm not excited about how it has to happen.

So, when 10pm hit, kids were in bed, I still wasn't terribly thrilled with life...  I really did NOT want to get up and change and do my practice.  I wanted to sit around, mope, go to bed early, and maybe eat some ice cream.

But I did not allow it.  This is not how we handle things.  Suck it up, Harris.

So I grudgingly got out on that mat.  I turned on some music, and just started to move.  Breathing.  Flowing, not thinking about what I was doing too much.  Just do it.

And I fell asleep on the mat during savasana, woke up and meditated for a bit.

You know what?  I feel a lot better.  My perspective changed, there, on that purple mat of mine.  This is an investment.  For future depth perception injuries, like her fractured teeth and broken foot were.  This is a good thing.  This will be fine.

So.  If today is a day when you really just don't want to?  I feel your pain.  But I offer no excuses.  Just do it.  You'll thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment