Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Day one: Three day juice cleanse.

I choose to think of this as a cleanse, rather than a fast.  Thinking of it as a fast is telling my mind that I am missing something.  In reality, I am giving my body all it needs to function.  I am giving it fruits, vegetables, and healthy fats.  It is in a form that I can more easily digest, though.  That's really the only difference.  The delivery vehicle.

Right now I'm about half a day into it, and I'll admit to being somewhat hungry.  I had a grapefruit beet apple lemon juice earlier, and have tasted a little bit of each of the juices as they were made.  (List and recipes here)

I just finished a 30 minute yoga practice following Seane Corn's Detox Flow disc.  (It's on sale right now!  Or maybe you can find it at Walmart like I did.  I don't usually love Walmart, but they're handy for some stuff!)

I did the fast one because I'm hungry and you're not supposed to have food before yoga.  I know why, and it's a valid reason I discovered the hard way:  If you have food in your belly, or have eaten more recently ago than 1 hour, (ie, you have food in your belly), doing some of the twists and forward bends can induce nausea.

It is better to yoga on an empty stomach and follow it with something nourishing.  I figured the Detox Flow was an apt thing to follow right about now, because it goes with the mindset I'm trying to cultivate for this cleanse.

Get the bad stuff out.  Put good stuff in.  It's like your car...  if you put crap fuel into it, you can't really complain too hard when it runs like crap as a result.

Our bodies are not meant to run on crap.  They can survive, they can handle it, but I want more than just to "handle" my food.  I want my food to be a positive thing for my body.  I want my body to be able to take each and every nutrient and put it directly to use.  I need an oil change, for lack of a better analogy.

It's time to start over.  It might be a little hard, and I'm prepared for that.  I'm using yoga to help maintain mental balance and physical strength while I do this.  And I'm using cashew-almond milk to help ease me through the lower amounts of solid food.  I need something that will sit heavy and help me feel full, at least a little bit.

So!  Time for some green juice and a little raw nut milk!  Will keep you guys posted!

Day 1, cleanse.  Saying no to going out for lunch with my husband was the hardest thing so far today.  Dinner for kids will be a challenge, too...  But I'll get through it.

Day 14, back to back yoga practice.  30 minutes or more every day.  Doing great!  And in the last 22 days, I've managed to find time on 20 of those days.

Really, if you go by the article I read yesterday, even doing one downward facing dog per day is a practice.  I always am doing little things like that, like forward folding when I need to put my shoes on, or doing balances while setting the table.  But I'm currently counting my practices I've made a bit of time for in my list or I'd have to start over.  ;)

Anyway!  One day at a time.  We'll see how this goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment