Sunday, March 11, 2012

5 Day Juice Cleanse Overview!

Hey guys!  Was a little busy this weekend, so I didn't get a note written every day for the fast...  so here we go!  How did this thing work!?  How do I feel right now?

Pre-day:  I ate very little and tried to go mostly juice.  Tried to ease into it a bit more this time.  Made it a vegetarian only food day.  Had some lovely Amy's Pesto Pizza for dinner.  Was scrumptious.  Went to bed excited for the juice cleanse beginning!!!

Day 1:  This day was pretty hard, I'll admit.  I kept looking at food and wanting to eat it.  My son offered me a fruit leather and I ate it without thinking that afternoon.  Didn't even occur to me until I was about to eat the last bite that I shouldn't be eating it!!!  But, it was all fruit, so I didn't beat myself up.  I kept it together for their dinner, even though green juice really didn't sound good right then.  Managed a little yoga, but fell asleep on my mat.  Energy level not super high, still.

Day 2:  Woke up feeling MUCH better than I did the night before.  Geared up and ready to go.  Green juice tasted better than it did on day 1.  Was easier to drink and enjoy.  I think the green juice is something that takes a little getting used to, and your palate grows to enjoy it a little at a time.  It was definitely not my favorite ALL the time...  but it's one of my favorites right now.  Everything at work smelled amazing.  I wanted to eat it all.  Even the stuff that usually smells really gross to me (I blame that one hangover, that one time...)

But!  I caved a little after dinner. Was really hungry and wanted something more solid.  I went for pasta with an organic sauce, and ate around 1 cup of that.  Half way through my portion I stared down into the plate.  It wasn't even very tasty.  I usually really like that sauce, but it didn't taste good.  I was a cheater.  I knew it.  I felt it.  I went to bed telling myself I'd do better tomorrow.  Didn't make time for yoga.  Cheater again.  Sigh.

Day 3:  Woke up feeling better than the night before.  Determined not to cheat.  Juice juice juice, took a batch to Tara (she doesn't currently have her own juicer so I was juicing for two during this whole thing), we were excited for the green juice, but feeling really emotional and a little bit crazy.  Everything was hilarious, truth be told.  I worked this night, and was a little irritable.  Not nearly as bad as the last day 3, when I was getting sick and didn't know it.  I'm not sure if that was because I was a little healthier from the recent fast, or because I wasn't getting sick.  I know Tara felt it on this day.  She threatened to go home and eat a bunch of cheese sticks.

 I wanted to quit.  I wanted to give up and just eat all the food in the fridge and say NO MORE GREEN!!!!!!!!  But I stuck it out.  I did have a couple pistachios when my husband had them out that night...  another bout of snacking without thinking.  I think I realized what I was doing around pistachio #9 and I stopped eating them.  And told my husband to take them away from me.  It was a good idea.  He did, and when I was reaching for them absent-mindedly again a little later, he told me no!  Yay for hubbies that try and help out, even if they think we're a little crazy.  (I've tried to convince him to do a 3 day cleanse with me, but he thinks I'm just crazy and he doesn't like the homemade green juice.  He really likes the Superfood juice from Odwalla, and I suppose I could try and replicate that with some green powder and fresh fruits...  but I'm not sure he'd be down for a full 3 days without food.  Though I am certain he would benefit from it greatly!!!  Will keep working on that!  LOL)

Day 4:  MUCH easier than day 3.  Everything was funny.  I was in a happy mood all day, laughed a lot, felt fantastic!  Worked that night, helped train a new girl, ran the pizza rush from the kitchen, and things went smoothly.  I was nowhere near as cranky as I was for the last pizza rush I ran while juicing (it was day 3 last time and I was losing it a little).  Much better.  Watched a blip of 30 Rock with my husband, and it happened to be a show that involved Tracy doing a fast for a colonoscopy, and he was hilarious in his description of his fasting.  So so true.   Season 6, Episode 11, while it still streams on hulu.  The best bit is at 10:45 when his fast had to go longer than he planned:

Anyway!  Hahaha, talking turkey leg, talking chocolate bar, talking cheese stick...  it's all in what you crave!  ;)  Day 4 ended decently, gearing up for day 5 and a trip to Denver.  Trying to figure out how to take the juice with me for the day without a cooler.  I decided on stainless steel coffee travel mugs.  Did a little yoga here and there, but no formal practice.  Sigh.  Fail.  But the evening was lovely, hanging out at home with the hubby after work.  We watched some Game of Thrones with the commentary and laughed a lot at the one where the kids who play Aria, Sansa, and Bran are commenting.  Marveled at the surprising lack of nudity for the episode and figured they had to be careful about which one the kids would comment on.  ;)

Day 5:  Woke up, juiced, arranged for Anna to come home from her sleepover.  Was in a great mood all day.  Only was a little cranky about a crick in my neck, and only when we hit bumps on the road that jarred my spine.  Pretty sure a disc is slightly out of whack.  Tried to yoga to fix it, but couldn't move enough.  Went to the Denver Science and Natural History museum and IKEA in Denver.  Amazing place, that.  Planning our new entertainment center if we can decide on an overall feel...

Also, turns out...  fresh juice with citrus in it inside stainless steel?  TASTES DISGUSTING.  Stick with glass or plastic, people.  Glass or plastic.  My juice was awful.  I drank it anyway.  Got home starving, happy to have some more juice in glass jars to fall back on...  but caved for a little pasta.

Hubby tried to rat me out to Tara by taking a picture and sending it, but I stopped it before it could go through.  MUAHAHAHAH!  I ended up looking a little crazy because of my "Damn it Charlie!!" text I sent after the pic.  But then I saw it hadn't sent yet and I canceled.  LOL.  Tara asked me if I'd been drinking.  LMAO!  Anyway, it was a decent day, and if I hadn't been so stupidly hungry because of the awful juice tastes that I couldn't get past (couldn't stomach one of the ones I took with me.  Sigh.), I would have been able to force down that food craving.

Day 6:  Day to break.  Trying to do it right this time.  Had some mango juice in the morning, on the way to work.  Took some fresh veggies cut up with me for my solid food.  Ate a kid size Cliff bar before my shift, and it made me feel hugely full.  Way too much.  Should have started with 1/2 a bar.  Stupid stomach size!  Had some berry juice at lunch and about 5 of the baby carrots, 5 small slices of red bell pepper, and 1 broccoli floret.  Was full after that but not nearly as much as after the Cliff Bar.  Felt weird to have food in my stomach again.  Maybe it was too hard so it was hard to digest, but I wanted to start back off with veggies.  After work, I took the kids to IHOP for dinner.  Ordered some savory veggie crepes and barely managed to eat one of them.  Still feel full a couple hours later.

And I'm going to go take a long hot bath and do a little yoga before bed.  Work comes early in the morning, so I need to do that, but I am hoping the twists during yoga help loosen up the muscles that are holding the disc in the wrong place.  Maybe tomorrow I can turn my head without serious thought involved.  Maybe.  That would be nice.

Anyway!  I feel brighter, foods taste amazing and complex, and I think next time we're going to plan for a 10 day cleanse.  But for now, the thinking is that we'll do a 1 day cleanse at the beginning of every month.  Just give our bodies a little break from the food to decompress.  I like it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment